Sunday, April 27, 2008

Urghhh....I Want Wheels!

Ok, so I just checked my bank account...$9,200 (and some change). I need a car; and you would think that would be plenty. I mean I've owned 5 cars before...never have I had more than $2,500 in cash available to get those cars...and they were good cars pretty much (in fact only one was a nightmare...and that was the $700 Spawn of Frankenstein car).

So I have no clue what on earth happened between 2001 (when I got my last car) and now. Inflation...yeah, I get that. But there seems to be no rhyme or reason to the classified ads for cars. But before I go there...yeah, I'm checking out used cars, because no one will finance someone who doesn't have a job (and I ain't mad at cha...because I didn't want a car payment anyway!). I do not really blame the banks on that one; but if I had access to about 3 grand more, I feel my options would be greatly improved.

Back to the ads, I'll link Craigslist simply because it demonstrates my point perfectly. They have this 98 Mercedes for $8250. Ok...maybe if I were a 40-something professional living in a cul-de-sac, that would work. Otherwise no. Or an 86 Corvette $8900; maybe if it were red, and I could get it to play Prince when the door opens, and I had two other cars, yes...but no. Oh, and I like these two...77 Cadillac for $3000 and 90 Grand Marquis for $2500. Did these people not get the memo regarding gas prices? Try $500 buddy and cut your losses. Those ads make you chuckle (don't worry...I'm laughing with you...) but the ads for Japanese imports do not. Maybe it's just me, but it seems that there were a whole lot more of these for sale 5-10 years ago. Why are they being horded now? And when you do see a Japanese import for sale you get foolishness like $12,000 for a 2000 Honda Prelude with 100K on it, or $9800 for a 2002 Subaru Impreza with 89,000 miles. Just seems ridiculous, you know?

I dunno...maybe my vantage point is twisted; I got my 93 Probe with 45K miles for $3200. And that was from a dealer. True, the car had been sitting there for about 6 months...with no one buying it. Maybe they were just desperate. Now I feel like if I am going to shell out the money, I want something I will like...or maybe grow to like. It seems that there are a lot of used luxury cars...like Lexus, BMW, Audi oh and Mercedes (of course) in my price range, but I feel there is something inherently wrong with owning one of them when you don't have a job or a home of your own. I am also afraid of buying an American car...or a car with an American engine rather (many American cars do in fact have import engines). I have a few exceptions to that. Here's what I keep looking at over and over again:

Mitsubishi Eclipse (previous generation) - I almost brought one of these when I had my old car...was going to do a trade. I test drove one...they're pretty nice to drive. But if I can't find a stick, I sort of don't want to be bothered....and sticks are hard to find it seems. Also a GT would be nice...but it's more important it has a moonroof (I really missed having one in my old car). I'm noticing the mileage on many is high.

Pros - I love the look...always have. It's an import. I like the interior.
Cons - Reliability reviews are not horrible, but apparently the parts are expensive. Many of the colors available are fugly.

Ford Mustang - I test drove one of these....and at first I wasn't all that impressed. But it can grow on me; once I change my driving mentality (I know it). Plus it's an American classic ;-) These are super duper hard to find in a manual. I could take an automatic I guess if it's really nice. Maybe a convertible (or maybe not!). I think if I tell myself the car will only need to last about 2 years or so, I will be ok with it.

Pros - A real muscle car! There's like millions for sale everywhere.
Cons - Gas! No sunroof or t-top option. There are some crazy set-ups out there. Not good in the snow.

Jeep Grand Cherokee - Because SUVs are sooo easy for me to get in and out of.

Pros - Comfort. Lots of room. Could probably make money for hauling people or stuff around (joking...sort of).
Cons - Cost of gas, cost of tires, just all round more expensive. I don't think they are the world's most reliable cars...

Pontaic Grand Am - Webb's Auto sales is ran by my Grandfather's friend and he carries a lot of these. I could get a good deal...because that's what friends are for. But Grand Am's are usually sedans (urgh) and the reliability ratings aren't good at all.

Pros - Cheap. Bizillions for everywhere around these parts (so mechanics will be familiar I'm sure). Kinda cool looking.
Cons - I hear the seats are uncomfortable. Reliability! Too run-of-the-mill.

Dodge Stratus R/T Coupe - I know, I know....but the engine is made by Mitsubishi, so it's ok. The more important question is does anyone have one that's a stick?

Pros - Import reliability without the BS price. Looks. It's unique. Vrooom!
Cons - Hard to find.

However I might not get any of these cars. I just don't know. People keep telling me, "Look on Ebay, look on Ebay...", but come on. I've had bad experiences buying cell phones over the internet...I'm not going to buy a car (something you need to really see and drive) online. That's too much money to just "be out of".

{Sigh}, what to do, what to do?

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

A four-wheel-drive car can utilize the traction of all four tyres to pull the car up the hill.Wheels Miami