Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Oh, It's September 11th!

Well let's see; I think it is safe to say that if I make it to the end of 2008 with most of my sanity intact; I will be ok. I'm keeping my fingers crossed...

September, 10th, 2008 went something like this...

6:55 am: Woke up before 7am; YES! I can have breakfast then!

8:28 am: Arrived at work

10:00 am: Boss asked if I could come in to work next Monday (normally I have Mondays off). Said I would. Fool!

10:30 am: Went off to pick up the food and flowers for a surprise birthday lunch for a co-worker. Stayed long enough to sing Happy Birthday...then went off for lunch on my own.

11:45 am: Tried to call the head of Greek Life at Binghamton University to try to discuss the sorority insurance policy and corporate document requirements. Had to leave a message.

12:03 pm: Everyone still at their lunch, so I hop on to check my WVU e-mail account to see a message stating that our first exam closes on Saturday at 11 pm. Ok. Check to see what the exam is on. Chapters 1 to 4. Wait, did I do the work for Chapter 4? Nope. Ok, I guess I need to do that tonight then!

3:30 pm: Make pdf copies of the papers on my boss's desk that she said for me to e-mail out, but did not give to me. She get's very touchy when she has multiple things going on (and today was payroll and invoice day) so I figured it would be better wait until she just left.

4:45 pm: Driving home; but thinking that I should really go the the grocery store to pick up dessert for Shabbat today; since I probably will not have time to do it any other day...

5:15 pm: On the phone with Grandma in the grocery store and she is telling me how Clairton school was on lockdown earlier because some man barricaded himself up in a house by the school. My sister (and other students...all the students?) were transported to the municipal building and needed to be picked up there.

6:00 pm: I realize that I also need to read 3 chapters of my Accounting book (which just came on Mon) for class tomorrow. Ok, I'll do that after I do Chapter 4 for my management class.

6:20 pm: Set up and trying to get into reading Chapter 4; but some yahoo from Braddock is seriously doing a one-man revival across the street and talking about how Jesus saves. I knew something like this was going to go down, because I saw these guys setting up big speakers when I pulled in. My windows are shut and I can still hear them. Time to set up camp elsewhere.

7:00 pm: At the Starbucks at the Waterfront, sipping on a latte and nibbling on those tasteless french cake things. I somehow managed to complete the Chapter 4 review questions before my laptop battery totally died. I brought my cord...but didn't see a plug. And my seat was too comfy to move. It was kinda nice that questions #9 and #11 of the review questions were exactly the same.

9:00 pm: The Rev. Wright wannabe has left (thank G-d). I have an hour to read the Accounting chapters, and then need to prepare for my DGP meeting.

9:10 pm: Finished the chapter 4 quiz in about 8 minutes. 14 out of 15; good enough for me.

9:45 pm: Ok, so chapters 1 and 2 were a complete waste of time and discussed a lot of details about business and accounting regulatory organizations and how important it is for a company to set up a sound accounting structure. *Pet peeve* - when college textbooks take 60 pp to tell you the most basic concepts....

10:15 pm: Into Ch. 3, which is much better, (I noticed that to show the declaration of a cash dividend, the text said to dr. owner's equity, and cr. liabilities; why they didn't dr. divendends and cr. cash I have no idea - scribbled a note to ask about it) - but I am not going to finish it. I'll overlook it tomorrow in the 1 1/2 hours I have before class.

10:30 pm: Sign on to AIM 10 minutes ago, but only one other member is present -- oh wait, two. Still need three more...{sigh}

10:32 pm: Do a quick survey of my regular online hang out spots. Nothing exciting. Oh, look here! A message sent on on the Orthodox Jews for Obama mailing list regarding Obama's "Jewish" relative..."Rabbi" Funnye in Chicago. I express my displeasure at his name being brought up...and left it at that.

10:45 pm: Everyone signed on except on person. Decide to start the meeting

10:5 pm: Oh wait...checked my e-mail again. Looks like someone is all miffed that I and another list member spoke "lashon hara" about Rabbi Funnye. Ok, time to get on the soapbox; because it's really sad to see ignorance go unchecked...

11:30 pm: Finally able to end looooong conversation about why alumna who did not opt for alumna membership should not be formally updated or included in sorority business operations. I am pretty flexible and understanding, but refuse to grovel to these women just because we have bills to pay. We'll find another way.

11:45 pm: Our treasurer finally joins us. She fell asleep with her baby. Boy, I know the feeling...and I don't even have a baby!

12:10 am: After the meeting ended, had a side discussions with the treasurer and director of philantrophy/fundraising regarding what needs to be paid in by the end of the month. Oh, and I still need to send out thank you notes to those who donated and reminders to those who have outstanding paperwork. Thanks for reminding me :-D

12:35 am: Got changed for bed. Looked at the calendar to see if it would be feasible to go up to Binghamton for October 16 through that weekend. It's chol homoed sukkot. I would say no....but there are plenty of Jews in Binghamton and after a quick IM to Emma, she assures me there are sukkas around. It becomes a possibility now...

12:45 am: I wonder if I want to crash, or if I have enough energy to update my blog....since it's been a while....

Although, now I see why it's "been a while"!

Graduation is becoming more of a reality; especially since I got awarded 9 more credits by having my transcripts re-evaluated! Of course if I knew this previously, I would not have enrolled for this grueling 18 credits of course work this semester. But whatever, with G-d's help, I'll make it.

I can't believe it's been 7 years since 9/11. Funny, I was also up here...in my Grandparent's place when I found out. Out Deja Vu...let me tell you.

Ok, time to do krias shema and crash. Only to do it all again tomorrow. What fun.

2 comments:

Izgad said...

Well its 9/11. I don't think the day would be complete if no one questioned your patriotism. Can I do the honors? I could give a real fire and brimstone sermon to make any liberal, or faithless conservative, shake in their boots. :)

Miss S. said...

Well being that I'm a Democratic Socialist, I my patriotism is often called into question regardless; so I would be an easy target. It unfortunate though, because as a 1st generation American, I am really grateful that I live in this country. I am not blind to the plethora of problems present here; but it could be much, much worse.