
Well it looks as if I'll be leaving the ranks of the unemployed and joining up with the workforce this coming Monday. I do so with feelings of ambivalence. Not working for 9 months was nice (hey, I'm not going to lie). I had time to focus on some other things, I had a very low level of stress, and I spent a lot of quality time with my family. On the other hand I felt pretty under utilized (despite being in school) and found myself peering at all sorts of workers thinking "Wow, they are getting a paycheck and I am not. What's with me? What's with them?" Oh, and of course it's a horrible feeling knowing that you do not have medical benefits. Especially for someone in my condition.
So I started towards the end of June. Just sort of went on a rampage sending my resume out like crazy -- mostly to staffing agencies. I figure that they are getting paid to match appropriate workers with various open positions in the area...so why not let them do most of the legwork? Although I aced just about every employment test, I curiously did not get many calls. Not for placements anyway. I received several calls asking for further information but that was pretty much it.
Anyway, about 2 weeks ago I got a bite. A company in Belle Vernon was looking for a "jack of all trades" type person. {Sigh} I really didn't want that...I wanted something in accounting or bookkeeping or something along those lines. However I liked how they said over and over again that they are growing and that there is room to move up in the company. It's a very (very) laid back office and it's not too far of a drive. Although it is in the wrong direction. I really saw myself working in Pittsburgh proper. Yeah.
What I am not liking is the pay rate. I won't get into specifics...but let's just say I'm making 30% less than what I was making in Florida (ouch). True, some of that is because I am only needed for 30 hours a week (30 hours with them is considered full time). But after taxes, it won't be too much more than what unemployment was paying me. I am banking on the notion that when they see what I can do, I'll get a pay increase. If not, then I'm out. Yep. I have so many companies on my resume at this point, it doesn't even really matter. My priority is school. Let me get enough cash for gas, insurance, my tuition, and some pocket money and I'm good.
I have not even encountered my first day on the job, and already, 3 people from "down there" (Belle Vernon...and Mt. Pleasant...where the staffing agency is) asked "Where is Clairton? Isn't that far away?). LOL...are you serious? Unless they are mixing up Clairton with Clarion...which we passed on our way to Erie this past weekend; and yeah, that is far away! I would bet though, that Clairton is bigger than Belle Vernon. Also you pass us on your way to Pittsburgh (if you take Rt. 51), Kennywood, etc...so it's a little surreal to discover people have never heard of the place.
Anyway, I am looking forward to this "experience". That's what I am viewing it as. Just trying to stay on the positive side; you know?
Thursday, July 17, 2008
All Good Things Must Come To An End
Posted by Miss S. at 12:05 PM
Labels: Beckman and Associates, Belle Vernon, Clairton, I-70, PA Route 51, work
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
goodluck on the new position
Belle Vernon is the center of the mid-Mon Valley universe, the so-called Peters Township of this nec of the river. Welcome
I hope the job goes well! I really enjoyed reading your post, too.
Post a Comment