Wednesday, May 6, 2009

No More "Spokespeople"....Please

I am really tired of all these various "prominent" (as in "visible") Black Americans making statements and casually implying that they speak on behalf of the Black community. No, you do not. Because we (Black Americans) are not a homogeneous, voiceless bunch of mindless lemmings. By the way, what prompted me to post about this is reading an article where Marion Barry states that there will be "Civil War" over the issue of gay marriage (article is here); and that the Black community is completely against this. Of course, this is BET news; and I am going to soon go off on a major rant about them to (I can sense it).

My personal views are that there is a need for some sort of civil union between couples regardless of sex. I do not think it should be forced to call this union "marriage" however. But the union would afford all the benefits of a traditional marriage. I do not feel that homosexuals should suffer social or economically. But I am a stickler for terminology, so when it came up on the ballot in FL I voted against "gay marriage".

But back to the point of my posting, I offer the following meme to you, dear Mr. Barry:

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

why not "marriage?" yeah, homosexuality goes against the Christian idea of marriage, but we call unions sanctified under other religions as "marriage," too.