
I joined a band! No, not a "cool one" where I get to play in smoky clubs in the city; but a community band. Community Band South in fact. We practice every week in Upper St. Clair. The first time I went (2 1/2 weeks ago) there was another lady playing tenor saxophone. But at the last practice she was playing clarinet. So now I'm all by myself (with 4 or 5 altos, and another lady on baritone sax).
I half-heartedly looked into trying to find a private teacher. It has been 8+ years since I played the saxophone and even back then, I didn't know what I was doing. But I don't want to pay someone $30 per week (more maybe) just so that they can tell me to practice...I can do that by myself. I just need pointers; maybe someone I can consult on a "as needed" basis only.
I got my saxophone in the last days of January...so I'm coming up on almost a month. After a crummy e-bay experience, I picked up a Selmer Aristocrat in Monroeville at Music-Go-Round for a really fair price. I picked up some Vandoren traditional reeds first and a pink Oleg ergonomic neckstrap first (I can't stand sax straps that look like medical devices!). Then I decided to go with a Yamaha 4C mouthpiece because I just see no reason to spend $100+ on a Selmer Paris mouthpiece right now. I also picked up some Vandoren JAVA reeds (so far, I don't like them as much as the traditionals). Today I received a Rovner EVO ligature I ordered as well as a BARI synthetic reed. The synthetic reed is horrible...it makes the sax sound like a party favor. It's nice and loud though...so if I was in marching band (those days are over) or an electric polka band, I guess it would be cool. Good thing it was only $4. But who knows...maybe it's just me.
Tenor sax parts in concert band are not too crazy; so I can read most parts and not panic. My biggest issues right now are breath support -- since daily breathing just does not prepare you for playing a tenor saxophone. The worse is low notes. My sides start hurting if I have a passage longer than 8-bars with notes under G. My second issue is my embouchure. When I played sax the first time around, only the double embouchure worked for me (top & bottom lips covering the teeth). Now I see that with my top teeth on the mouthpiece...breathing is easier...and my low notes are more reliable. But my tone does not sound as good. For a "sweet sound" I need my top teeth off the mouthpiece. So I'm still deciding what to do here. It's for this type of thing that I wish I had a saxophone teacher! Also I have no "style" yet...articulations are tough when you are not used to a reed. However I think I'll stick with it. Especially since the people I sit by in the band are pretty floored that I've only been back at this for a month.
Another problem I have is that I don't listen to a lot of tenor saxophone music; other than Tommy McCook & John Coltrane. And I could never sound like them! Also you don't hear of too many professional tenor sax players that are women. I may try to find something with Anat Cohen on it however. It would be nice if I could have a clearer picture of the kind of sound I'm shooting for. I sort of feel pressured to do that, since I'm the only person playing my part in the band. Instant soloist....yick!
Wednesday, February 25, 2009
Saxy Time
Posted by Miss S. at 3:26 PM
Labels: community band, e-bay, music, tenor saxophone, Upper St. Clair
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comments:
Miss S.:
congratulations on starting the sax playing again.
I trust that your embouchure and breathing have progressed during the months passed.
good luck,
Post a Comment