Last night I tracked my absentee ballot. It was received by the Miami-Dade elections department on October 22. Nice. Now hopefully, my vote will "count"...
My Grandmother also voted absentee; but for PA. I asked her about her thoughts for this historic election and she replied, "You know what; it's in G-d's hands. I'm not worried about it.". I admit, I freely agree with her. If McCain wins, I am concerned about the continuation of this "divide and conquer" approach to economics. If Obama wins, I am concerned about the social cohesiveness of this country and also the safety of the Obama's. Although I think Obama is a brilliant and talented politician, he would be fighting against to much to be truly successful.
Another interesting kink is in the mix as well. My company has a lot of concerns regarding the future of nuclear power, and the owner believes, for sure, that if Obama wins the election, there will be major layoffs or even complete plant closures. This is because of Obama's stance on nuclear energy sources. The following is an excerpt from an e-mail distributed to our company from one of our clients:
Obama's position, that he is for nuclear power after the issue of radioactive waste is fully solved is definitely tantamount to a position against nuclear power now and in the near future. We know that the issue's full resolution is going to take a great deal of time, and we can not possible wait!! We have already missed years of lack of action, and have relinquished technological leadership in the process. Many countries are very supportive of nuclear energy right now (among many others: Great Britain, France, Russia, China, Brazil, Japan, India, Kazakhstan, etc). We can't keep polluting the environment and importing oil. Obama appears to have found a "political" approach to nuclear energy, where he is not against it, but has an excellent excuse not to support it.
The Obama "expert" indicated that there are 106 sites, this is incorrect, as there are only 104 operating plants and a number of them have more than one reactor. With such a glaring mistake, can he still be called an "expert"?
The "expert" indicates there are 106 sites, "no good", and one central repository projected, "no good" also. What, if anything would the "expert" propose?
The very positive proposal by McCain on building new nuclear energy plants would put this country back in the path of energy independence!!
Ok, so this isn't exactly "unbiased" information. However, I question that I should really ask myself is "Do I still support Obama, even at the expense of one day, losing my job because of it?".
In the end, I guess so; because I used to think about jobs a lot. And I definitely do not take my job for granted. But in all honesty, school is my priority and I really need to hunker down and prepare for graduate school. Although this semester is killer. I doubt that I will be able to pull off all 'A's this semester; because sometimes I do not know if I am coming or going!
Postscript: I threw that picture into this post not because I believe that rednecks (sorry Mr. Unidentified -- I hope I'm not offending you!) supporting Obama = tolerance, diversity, and all that jazz. I did it mainly because while driving to work on Rt. 51 this morning, I saw this guy in the heart of Rostraver with tons of Anti-Palin bumper stickers and a huge Obama/Biden banner strapped on his car. I wonder if he gets a lot of grief for all of that!
Friday, October 24, 2008
Here Comes The Pain
Posted by Miss S. at 6:09 AM
Labels: Barack Obama, election, nuclear energy, Rt. 51, voting
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comments:
Well "diverse" is relative I guess; remember I'm coming from the perspective of having lived in South Florida for some time :-)
Post a Comment