Well, this is my first post since the news has come out that Sen. Barack Obama is the Democratic presidential nominee (and Hillary Clinton removed herself). In that time frame, there has been an explosion of discussions regarding racism; racism from Obama...racism (or the lack thereof) from Americans. I (of course) have been participating feverishly (I guess a little too much...now I have two chapters to read for my economics class!) in these discussions -- recounting my experiences with racial stereotypes and discrimination despite my age and my education level. I really wanted to discuss those sentiments here; but I'm just a little too heated right now...I don't want to go on a mindless rant. So I'll just have to wait it out.
In the meantime I have been looking into John McCain. Wow. In all honesty, I had not really paid any attention to the guy before. My first time hearing him talk was his speech after Sen. Obama won the nomination. Boy oh boy. And they talk about Obama being a "Manchurian Candidate"? This man comes off like he needs a teleprompter not to make a speech...but to think. I also do not like that he played a part in that whole fiasco back in the 1980s where Arizona did not want to recognize MLK Jr. Day. I don't know...if I were a Republican...I would not be happy at all at my party's choice for the presidential nominee.There are a lot of anti-Obama sentiments flying around...and it is both scary, and sad. It is scary because it shows just how ignorant the general populace is. Basically, all the anti-Obama sites love to so Obama in his Muslim-type garb and plaster pictures of Rev. Wright all over the place. It is sad because as a Black American, you see that no matter what you do, you still are not good enough. They love to hold up Colin Powell and Condolezza Rice as Blacks who are "ok" by them. But they also fail to acknowledge that Colin "stood up" to the policies of the Bush administration which put a wrench in any political hopes he could have (in that they will not support him). Condolezza Rice even spoke up about racism in America and while she will not admit this, I think she knows that by being a Black woman...the Republicans would never push for her to be a presidential nominee...because no matter what you know, how good you are, Black women are just not equipped (in their minds) to run "their baby" (the good ol' U.S. of A.). It's almost as if they would rather roll over and die before they call a Black woman Commander-In-Chief.
In this modern "information age" I wish there were a way to expose more people in this country to the diversity and different experiences that "living in America" affords it's citizens. So many people are so completely out of touch (like J. McCain...for real). In their stubbornness to remain in their bubble, they will be the downfall of this society. It's really such a shame.


2 comments:
Condi Rice was touted as a presidental candidate but she turned it down. It was hers for the asking just as the nomination was Powell's for the asking in '96.
Thank you so much for the correction Izgad; I admit I was pretty emotional when I made this posting. Now I realize I was spewing personal opinion more so than facts. :-)
Post a Comment